A very happy Mother’s Day from Wines by Wives to all you wonderful women who give so much selfless love! Cheers to you moms!
Who can’t wait for the time to put your feet up, and wine down? … Have great wines delivered to your door by http://www.winesbywives.com
Wine Wednesday Question: What is the best wine you’ve ever had?
While scouring the internet searching for the perfect red wine cocktail recipe for this week’s Wines by Wives Wine Cocktail Wednesday, we ran across the New York Sour. A red wine twist on the classic whiskey sour. This recipe calls for the use of a sweet red wine, such as Shiraz or Malbec. Try it out with any of our great selections here: http://bit.ly/WBWRedWine
2 ounces Rye or Bourbon Whiskey
1 ounce fresh Lemon juice
1 ounce simple syrup *
1/2 ounce Wines by Wives red wine (sweet red wine such as Shiraz or Malbec)
Combine 2 ounces rye or bourbon whiskey, 1 ounce fresh lemon juice, and 1 ounce simple syrup in a cocktail shaker. Fill with ice, cover, and shake until outside of shaker is frosty, about 30 seconds. Strain into a rocks glass filled with fresh ice. Gently pour 1/2 ounce fruity red wine over the back of a spoon held just above the drink’s surface so wine floats on top.
Recipe serves 1
*Simple Syrup: Can be purchased or made by following this recipe. In a small saucepan heat 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water and bring to a boil. When the sugar is completely dissolved remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate, covered, for up to 1 week.
Recipe and photo from Bon Apetit
Being snowed in is giving us a sweet tooth. These red wine lollipops are fun project for a day in. Any of our sweet red wines are great for this Wines by Wives Food Pairing Friday sweet Valentine’s day treat. We recommend Merlot, Shiraz or Chianti all found here: http://bit.ly/WBWRedWines
1 1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons Red wine (Merlot, Shiraz or Chianti: http://bit.ly/WBWRedWines)
3 tablespoons corn syrup
3/4 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoons kosher salt
12 lollipop sticks
gold luster dust (optional)
hard candy lollipop molds or a silicone mat
1. Bring red wine to a simmer in a small saucepan (Image 1). Simmer wine until reduced to 1/3 cup. This should take about 20-25 minutes. Remove from stovetop and let cool completely.
2. In a medium saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup, salt and wine reduction. Stir until combined.
3. Clip a candy thermometer to the side of the saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
4. Stir occasionally with a heatproof spatula until all sugar granules have dissolved.
5. Boil until candy temperature registers 298-310 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
6. Remove from heat and fill greased lollipop molds with the hot candy.
7. Place lollipop sticks in the stick crevices and rotate until the stick is coated in the hot candy. Alternatively, you may also drop the hot candy from a spoon onto a silicone mat or parchment paper, making two- to three-inch disks and leaving room to place — and rotate — the lollipop sticks.
8. Allow the lollipops to harden completely.
9. These are best if you wait a day to consume them, as this gives the red wine flavor plenty of time to develop.
10. Embellish with luster dust (Image 2), if desired, and store between sheets of parchment paper in an airtight container.
Enjoy your snow day and stay safe everyone!
Recipe and photo from HGTV